Site news

ARNAB GOSWAMI USING THE NAME “REPUBLIC” FOR HIS PRIVATE TV CHANNEL IS “DIRECT BREACH” OF THE EMBLEMS AND NAMES (PREVENTION OF IMPROPER USE) ACT, 1950.

Picture of System Administrator
ARNAB GOSWAMI USING THE NAME “REPUBLIC” FOR HIS PRIVATE TV CHANNEL IS “DIRECT BREACH” OF THE EMBLEMS AND NAMES (PREVENTION OF IMPROPER USE) ACT, 1950.
by System Administrator - Thursday, 26 January 2017, 1:36 PM

By: M.S.Yatnatti: Editor and Video Journalist Bengaluru:: I have asked The Public Information Officer O/O The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, New Delhi to provide me information and reasons under section 4(I) (d) RTI Act forgiving the license to popular news anchor Arnab Goswami to use the name "Republic” as it is a "direct breach” of the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950 and action taken report on Dr Swamy's letter to I&B ministry dated 13-01-2017 . Ministry of Information and Broadcasting is THE PUBLIC AUTHORITY under obligation to provide information "PUBLICLY” under section 4(I) (a) (b) (c) (d) RTI Act.RTI is a total problem solving mechanism and poor man's tool to solve his problems and not just record providing tool RTI Act is not just 2(f) .It provides transparency under 2(f) and4(1) (a) (b) (c) and Accountability under 4(1)(d). 4(1)(d) is check on whether public authority function under and as per 4(1) (a) (b) (c).RTI is a total problem solving mechanism and not just record providing tool.RTI will provide transparency and Accountability and this reduces the corruption. This information and reasons need to be provided to me as per Guide on RTIto Information Act 2005 published by the Government of India Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions Department of Personnel & Training (available here :http://rti.gov.in/RTICorner/Guideonrti.pdf) on page 12 and Para 9, following is stated: Providing Reasons for Decisions: The public authorities take various administrative and quasi-judicial decisions which affect the interests of certain persons. It is mandatory for the concerned public authority to provide reasons for such decisions to the affected persons. It may be done by using appropriate mode of communication .Attention is also invited towards the thread 'Affected Person ' under RTI ACT. In fact, it can be said that "Affected" refers back to an action. The"Affected Persons" are the ones who are affected by that action. The reasons need to be given to affected person and copy of that can be given to me under 2 f of RTI Act. The Co-Opeartion Department is THE PUBLIC AUTHORITY under obligation to provide information "PUBLICLY” under section 4(1) (a) (b) (c) (d).

Reportedly many have objected to the use of the name "Republic” for a private commercial TV channel. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, has granted the license to popular news anchor Arnab Goswami to use the name "Republic” should be revoked by as it is a "direct breach” of the Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, 1950. Republic is an upcoming English-language news and current affairs television channel based in Mumbai, India. The channel is being launched by Arnab Goswami on 26 January 2017. Republic will be a global media venture.Goswami had announced his resignation from news channel TimesNow on November 1, after which there were reports that he would launch Republic as his new venture. He formally introduced the channel earlier in January 2017. Reports suggest the channel will start airing before the crucial Uttar Pradesh elections in the first quarter of 2017. Arnab Goswami's Republic is flirting with sacred and constitutionally enshrined emblems and names at a time when such symbols of nationalism mean much more than the citizens themselves. How is it that Arnab Goswami gets to toy with "Republic”, when others cannot even interpret nationalism and patriotism as a critical engagement with the nation? Why do the clearances, which usually take many months, if not years, happen at the escape velocity of Jupiter (Capital), when it concerns Goswami's "independent media venture” that has a BJP MP - Rajeev Chandrasekhar - and his proxy companies as investors? Few media experts want to save people from Goswami or his sad brand of journalism he has unleashed on Indian public based on a decade of shouting, screaming and browbeating people into submission.